Manage Account

College Fee Waiver Program


The California College Fee Waiver (CFW) program benefits the spouse and children of U.S. veterans.  Students meeting the eligibility criteria may get their college fees waived if they attend a California Community College, a California State University, or University of California campus.

To be eligible, students must:
  •     Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled, proof may be required); or
  •     Have a spouse or domestic partner who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled. (If using Plan A, DD-214 required)
  •     Be a child earning less than $12,119 per year (AY 2014-2015) (student's income, not parents'). 
       NOTE: There is no income limit for a spouse, domestic partner or children of S/C deceased or 100%
            S/C veterans. Proof of service connection required.
  •    Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
  •    Provide proof of the student's relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth, marriage or domestic partnership certificate.
For more complete eligibility information, see page two of the application, or contact your local County Veterans Service Office.

Click here for the application
Franchise Tax Board Requirements
Franchise Tax Board Power of Attorney
Applicants to the program must submit proof of income, such as a copy of the previous year's tax return,  with your application. If the student had no income, a statement to that effect can be obtained from either the Franchise Tax Board or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You can call the Franchise Tax Board at 800-852-5711, or call the IRS at 800-829-1040. 
Once the application is complete, take it to your local County Veterans Service Office (CVSO) for processing. Please contact your local CVSO for more program details.

Additional information: Scholarships & Grants